top of page

St. Peter's UCC Cemetery

"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth;

That they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them.”

Revelations 14: 13

The Christian Church has always concerned itself with providing a place of rest for its departed members

and their families.  Accordingly, in 1875, the St. Peter's congregation purchased a three-acre plot of land about a mile east of the new church building and established the St. Peter's Evangelical Cemetery.

Over the ensuing years, the cemetery was expanded to approximately ten acres and now serves as the final resting place for over 3,100 persons.  Of particular note are the landmark granite wall and iron entry gates (erected in 1936) and the special labyrinth meditation area which is registered on the world-wide Labyrinth Locator.  Furthermore, this historic “Gottesacker” (God's Acre) features dozens of stately, mature trees, paved driveways and a modern, tastefully appointed committal chapel which provides a comfortable, dignified space for on-site funeral ceremonies. 

In addition to being one of the oldest and most beautiful cemeteries in Franklin County, St. Peter's UCC

Cemetery is non-sectarian and open to everyone, regardless of religious or church affiliation.  Perpetual care ensures that the grounds are always well maintained and attractive.  The cemetery offers traditional burials, interment for cremation ashes and has recently added environmentally friendly "green burial" services.   A separate "companion animal" pet burial section is also available. 

The cemetery is located at 1780 E. Fifth Street in Washington.  For more information on burial lot availability and pricing, please contact the St. Peter's UCC church office at (636) 239-6176.

Cemetery Key Dates

  • 1875: Land purchased for new cemetery (3 acres from Louis Hausmann for $150 per acre)

  • 1875-1876: Trees on property used to build a picket fence around the cemetery

  • 1924: Additional land purchased

  • 1936: Stone wall with iron entry gates erected on Fifth Street

  • 1944: Additional land purchased

  • 1966: More land purchased to the west and south of the cemetery

  • 1968: Equipment storage buildings constructed

  • 2002: Committal chapel erected

  • 2015: Labyrinth meditation area created

  • 2023: First "green burial" section plotted in west meadow area

JOIN US at St. Peter's UCC

20 E. Fifth Street (PO Box 510 for mail)

Washington, MO 63090

Office Hours: M-Th: 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

                        F: 8:30-12:00 p.m.

GIVE ONLINE

GIVE NOW
bottom of page